Pre-Departure

As I sit in my living room trying to stuff everything into one fifty pound suitcase, I think about the journey that lies ahead of me. I will be gone for six weeks instead of three. I decided to take this opportunity to travel around Europe after my student teaching experience is over. The first stop in this journey is Werne, Germany. I have visited before and I am eager to go back! During my last visit, I was able to meet so many genuine, kind, and helpful people. This is what influenced me to return to Werne to complete my international student teaching. I was thrilled when I learned I would be able to return. Although this experience will be much different than my last trip, I will be able to be in the classroom as a teacher.

This is an experience I am so excited to start but nervous for as well. I am most excited to interact with the students. I can not wait to meet them and begin working with all of the students. During the first week, I know I will be teaching English to fifth and sixth graders. These students have been studying English since primary school so they speak English well. I am nervous about the content of the lessons. I have been studying up on the English language grammar. I want to be knowledgeable on the content I will be teaching.

Through this experience, I am hoping to get the closest glimpse of what it is like for an EL student in the classroom. I am also hoping to develop strategies to use in the classroom with EL students. This is something I want bring back with me so I can use it in my own classroom.

I know this experience will be challenging but with the challenge will come great personal and professional gains. This experience will be a once in a lifetime opportunity that will shape me to be the best I can be.

"Travel far enough to meet yourself." - David Mitchell

Comments

  1. I absolutely love your quote you ended with. I am hoping to find myself again this summer. Not sure where I lost myself, but I feel like I have been wandering for awhile.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts