There is Always a Lesson to Be Learned


As a future teacher, I realize there are lessons to be learned everywhere. We have to be the ones open to these lessons and realize what we are meant to learn. We can ignore these lessons or we can grow from these lessons.  When reflecting on this experience, I can say with full confidence, it has been one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever been a part of. I have had the opportunity to grow professionally and personally. I know, because of this experience, I have become a better version of myself. I have had a lot of time to reflect on this experience as a whole and I have decided to share some of the lessons I learned while abroad.


  1. Do not be afraid. Trust me - it’s so much easier said than done. Coming into this experience you can’t help but be scared. It is an experience that is out of your comfort zone and one that is so unfamiliar. Come into this experience excited, confident, and open. If you’re going abroad with this program, you have prepared yourself through school to be a great teacher and this experience will make you even better.
  2. Take every opportunity that is presented to you. Remember you only get this experience once. Teach all the classes they give you. Interact with the students, because trust me they already love you and they don’t even know you. Interact with the German teachers. Learn from them, they have really great ideas and you might even end up with a few things to take into your future classroom. These opportunities and experience are ones that are unique to only you and will help you become a better person and teacher. Go do things. Make sure you make plans so you can get the most out of this experience.
  3. Meet people. Really get to know the people you are around. It will make your experience more enjoyable. Like I said, interact with the teachers you are around. Be around your host family and spend time with them. The teachers and your host families want what is best for you and will help you in any way that they can. Meet random people on the street. They will leave an impression on you that you will not forget.  Don’t forget to interact with the other American students on the trip. This experience truly would not have been as memorable without my fellow WKU student teachers. I am so thankful we were able to experience this together. To any of you guys reading this, you all are so special to me and I can’t wait to have a reunion when I get back to the States! I have met some of my favorite people through this program.
    Once again, Erin Jackson 
    My host sister Lia
  4. Set goals. I set a goal at freshman orientation that I would international student teach. I did it! I finished student teaching and took on the exciting challenge of international student teaching. I am so proud of myself. This is something I have been working towards my whole college career and now that it’s complete, I am so thankful I set that goal as a freshman.
  5. Be kind. I know this is so simple but this is something I have thought about a lot while in Germany and I want it to carry on into my future classroom. It does not take anything to be nice to someone. Everyone that we have met has been so nice to us and has done everything to help us. I hope I can continue to spread the kindness I have experienced here.
I can’t believe my time at Western is done. I am done with my undergraduate degree and will graduate on Saturday. How crazy. Four years later and here I still sit in Germany awaiting my next adventure. I will be continuing my travels in Europe until May 31. I am so excited for all the things I am going to see and all the places I am going. I can’t wait to show you all what I see and what I experience as I continue this exciting adventure.

I am overcome with bittersweet emotions as another chapter in my life closes, I can’t help but think about all the exciting opportunities that will come in the future. I have been blessed with such a wonderful experience that I can’t wait to share with others. Whether that be future students in my classroom or future International Student Teachers, I can testify to this experience. It is one that will change your life!

Congrats to all the graduates! We did it! Go Tops!

Comments

Popular Posts